The Art of Writing an Epic Saga

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fodder

While I'll go into this more in a Creator's Journal moment sometime, I wanted to have a quick post about artists and their lives.

I've had the great fortune of knowing many artists and have always been surrounded by those who like to create. My writing mentor, who I miss dearly, had written not only her book, but the script and complete musical score for the movie. Her untimely death brought that to a halt, but she had been in talks with a studio at the time. She also created toys. I've added a link for her work, which is a shame you can get it so cheaply on Amazon right now, but maybe good for you if you need a book to share with your kids: Search Amazon.com for trish reinius

But to those who don't understand an artists dire need to create, artists look crazy. Sometimes our art pushes us so much we can't think of anything else. Worse is when the tragic moments in our life make us think, "Wait, I have to write this down. I'll need it for this scene in my book."

It's rare for humans to truly reflect on our emotions, but artists do it constantly. We analyse how things feel. We realize that though the circumstances may be different, emotions are universal. So we take our own feelings, rip them to shreds, and piece them back together on our characters. Or we pour that emotion into our painting or sculpture. We use our emotions as cannon fodder for our art.

Is it no wonder that so many artists have gone crazy?

Maybe you have to be in order to desire to create. But standing at this point now, I wonder why any non-artist would ever look at an artist and say, "Gee, I wish I could paint (or write, or sculpt, or whatever) like you do." I've said on my other blog several times that anybody can be creative. I still believe it's true. But maybe the ones who don't want to see the truth in it are the lucky ones.

Or maybe not because they aren't the one who will ever save the world! Creativity is a blessing - share yours with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment