The Art of Writing an Epic Saga

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

One book becomes two, Part 1 of the tale

Its official.

The second book of the Sacred Knight series is being split into two books. The decision was made in the dark of night after a weekend of fevered writing. Here it is nearly one on the morning and I reached what I thought would be a chapter end. I've often been asked how to know where to end a chapter and the truth is that there is no one right spot that can be found in the words alone. It's a feeling. Everything I just get this feeling to end a chapter at a certain spot. I was having that feeling come upon me and I was ready for sleep. But as I hit the period on the last word, I had a feeling of real completion, not a feeling of being ready to move to the next scene.

I wasn't really sure that I wanted to end the book there -- it's not really a high note in the story. Could I really stop and leave the readers there? Really? But it felt so final.

So I stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment