The Art of Writing an Epic Saga

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Evolution of a character

When Laurierent first came to me, the last thing I imagined was that he would be another character in my Sacred Knight series. But once he was,the trick was to figure out how he fit.

I know I had originally pictured him as half elven. A kind of Legolas image. But obviously that is so been-there-done-that. So how to put a spin on that?

I won't say that I'm anywhere near having his character figured out, but I'm on the road.

I'd hate to give away any spoilers, but I will say he is of mixed cultures. Too many of my characters already have abnormal backstories so I've decided to give him a good, normal childhood, one that let him become a lovable, flamboyant, regular person. He's a leader and a loyal friend. A got-your-back kind of person.

It's starting to feel like this world has never been without him.

But how does a character actually evolve from name to character, especially when there's already an established plot line? There's no easy answer. I'm sure everyone also has different ways too. For me, it almost always begins with "what if?"

For the development of Laurierent I asked myself what of he was an archer, but not half-elven. What could he be? I soon had an idea. He was half centaur. Hence his mixed cultures. It put him in the exact place needed a character in book 2. I also realized that because of the magic mythology already stated in the series, I could have him do some things here which will foreshadow other events in books 3 and 4. It was
Coming together wonderfully.

Then his name changed again. It shortened down to Laurient. I don't know if this is a permanent change. I might very well go back to the original by the time I get to him in my draft. Author's prerogative. Of course you could always write me and let me know which version of the name you like best. Get your say in!

No comments:

Post a Comment